Certainly reasonable accommodations should be made for the faithful to participate in a Religious pilgrimage. But when you are a young new hire to a job you mostly wait a bit before asking for several weeks off. Muslims are asked that is at all possible and if one can afford it to make a Pilgrimage to Mecca in ones lifetime. It seems to us that unless the young teacher was terminally ill or could not possible make the trip at a later time, one could postpone until a better time to travel. We wonder if this whole thing was set up to get a test case on the issue. The bottom line is what is “reasonable”. Is it reasonable for a new hire teacher to leave their students at a crucial time in their education for that year? The definition of “reasonable” seems to have changed over time.
This from the Lonely Conservative
Eric Holder’s priorities sure are odd. He’s shown no interest in investigating the union goons and community organizers plotting the destruction of the American economy. He’s dropped a solid case against Black Panthers who wielded knight sticks at a Philadelphia polling place. Yet the Department of Justice is using the resources of the American people to sue a school district who wants a Muslim teacher to make her trip to Mecca on her own time.
Safoorah Khan had taught middle school math for only nine months in this tiny Chicago suburb when she made an unusual request. She wanted three weeks off for a pilgrimage to Mecca.
The school district, faced with losing its only math lab instructor during the critical end-of-semester marking period, said no. Khan, a devout Muslim, resigned and made the trip anyway.
Justice Department lawyers examined the same set of facts and reached a different conclusion: that the school district’s decision amounted to outright discrimination against Khan. They filed an unusual lawsuit, accusing the district of violating her civil rights by forcing her to choose between her job and her faith.
As the case moves forward in federal court in Chicago, it has triggered debate over whether the Justice Department was following a purely legal path or whether suing on Khan’s behalf was part of a broader Obama administration campaign to reach out to Muslims.
Read the rest at The Lonely Conservative.
- Obama Justice Department sues on behalf of Muslim teacher who demanded three weeks off for hajj in the middle of the school year (jihadwatch.org)
- Obam’s Department of Justice Sues School District on Behalf of Hajj tripping Muslim Teacher (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- Sharia compliant: Obama’s DOJ sues Chicago school for not letting Muslim teacher leave for 3 WEEKS to go to Mecca (theblogprof.blogspot.com)
- DOJ’s Civil Rights Chief Vows to Protect Muslims (legaltimes.typepad.com)
- DOJ Sues On Behalf Of Muslim Teacher (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- Obama Administration Sues School District For Not Allow Muslim Teacher To Make Pilgrimage (sayanythingblog.com)
- Obama DOJ sues on behalf of another Muslim (creepingsharia.wordpress.com)
- Pure Political Posturing… (onemorecup.wordpress.com)