Today, the head of the House Oversight Committee fired off a letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton over her agency’s refusal to turn over documents and information about the ATF “gunwalking” scandal exposed by CBS News.
“Given the gravity of this matter, this refusal is simply unacceptable,” reads the letter from Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.).
Issa is acting in concert with Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa). On March 4, Grassley requested information from the State Department involving then-U.S. Ambassador to Mexico Carlos Pascual’s meetings with Assistant Attorney General Lanny Breuer, Mr. Breuer’s deputy, and other officials in Mexico City in the summer of 2010 regarding “on-going investigations” related to Project Gunrunner and its Fast and Furious component. However, the State Department has not provided any of the requested materials.
“This refusal is mystifying in its own right” and “stands in stark contradiction to the promise of transparency promoted by President Obama,” reads the Issa letter. He is now asking for the information as well. “Additionally, please explain in detail the reasons behind your refusal to answer the Senator directly.”
via CBS News.
- White House Pleads Ignorance to ‘Project Gunwalker’; See Press Secretary Video (2ndamendmentright.org)
- Project Gunwalker – The ATF Walking Guns Into Mexico (northernbarbarians.wordpress.com)
- The Buck Does Not Stop at the Oval Office (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- Obama on “gunwalking” – “Serious mistakes” may have been made (beetljooz.wordpress.com)
- Project Gunwalker ‘Becoming a Major Scandal’ (2ndamendmentright.org)
- Sen. Grassley asks for Independent Investigation of ATF; Cites “False and Misleading Statements” (2ndamendmentright.org)