The ceremonial lunch President Obama and his former congressional colleagues are eating Monday tops out at 3,000 calories, according to a website that has tallied up the luxurious menu of lobster, bison and apple pie.
HealthyFoodRecipe.net posted the full menu, complete with its calorie count, and said it was “unsatisfactory” to see such an unhealthy spread, given first lady Michelle Obama’s push for healthier eating.
She has come under fire for the high-calorie counts of some of the state dinners she’s hosted at the White House, but other nutritionists have given her a pass, saying indulging on special occasions is perfectly fine. Inaugurations, which come every four years, are about as special as occasions get.
Menu with Recipes and Wine
- First Course: Steamed Lobster with New England Clam Chowder Sauce
- Second Course: Hickory Grilled Bison with Red Potato Horseradish Cake and Wild Huckleberry Reduction
- Third Course: Hudson Valley Apple Pie with Sour Cream Ice Cream, Aged Cheese and Honey
- Tierce Finger Lakes Dry Riesling (2010)
- Korbel Natural, Special Inaugural Cuvée California Champagne
- Bedell Cellars Merlot (2009)
Read More – Inaugural.senate.gov